Preparing for the next Tent City… It’s coming!
Thursday, March 31, 2022
12:00 pm – 1:15 pm
In this webinar, Troy will cover:
- An update on the abandonment of the appeal in Stewart.
- The law on encampments in Adams & Johnson from the BC Court of Appeal.
- How Supreme Court judgements since those cases diverged from the law.
- How Prince George v. Stewart went “one tent” too far.
- The impact of recent cases relevant to tent encampments:
- Bamberger v. Vancouver (Board of Parks), 2022 BCSC 49
- Prince George v. Johnny, 2022 BCSC 282
- Beacon Hill Park Trust (Re), 2022 BCSC 284
- Teal Cedar Products Ltd. v. Rainforest Flying Squad, 2022 BCCA 26
- The “rule of law” versus the “law of equity”.
Why You Should Attend:
- Update on the most recent tent city cases;
- Understanding the challenges of tent cities – addictions, mental illness and crime;
- Shelter/housing may not be enough of a solution;
- Preventing the spread of U.S. style encampments in BC.
Troy DeSouza is a lawyer and an honourary lifetime member of LIBOA and a well-known province-wide expert in regulatory law, bylaw compliance and law enforcement procedure at GovLaw. Troy’s presentations are dynamic, informative, educational, and empowering.
Cost & Registration
$125.00 (+taxes) per person/computer
For those with 3 to 6 attendees: $350.00 (+taxes)*
For those with 7 to 12 attendees: $700.00 (+taxes)*
For those with 13 to 20 attendees: $1100.00 (+taxes)*
*Attendees must be from same Local Government, Public Authority, Detachment or Ministry.
To book your spot, please register using the form on the right. For further information, call (250) 590-1840.